This Vanilla & Strawberry Cake I made to celebrate my birthday is so decadent, fluffy, creamy and really delicious. The delicious layers of vanilla sponge, strawberry sauce, vanilla cream & fresh strawberries, make this cake perfect & yummy. The cake has quite a few steps but it comes together really easy. So, grab your apron and let’s make this delicious Vanilla & Strawberry cake.
I loved spending my birthday this year at home with my husband and our new born son. I feel so blessed to be spending this year’s holidays & my birthday has a mum, in good health, and with my family. To celebrate the occasion, I decided to make a cake and this Vanilla & Strawberry Cake was perfect to celebrate with my family.
How To Make The Vanilla & Strawberry Cake
Step 1: MAKE THE VANILLA SPONGE
VANILLA SPONGE CAKE INGREDIENTS
This cake is so easy to make, you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
- 6 large eggs or 8 small eggs (eggs must be at room temperature)
- 240 grams sugar
- 1tbsp water
- 180 grams flour
- 60 grams corn starch
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- First, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius & line a 9inch baking pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl of your mixer, add the eggs and sugar, whip on high speed for 5-7minutes or until the eggs have tripled in volume and when you lift the whisk, the batter will form stiff ribbons on the surface.
- Add the water & vanilla and whisk for 1-2 minutes.
- Add your sifted flour in 3 batches, using a spatula to mix it gently after each addition. Its important to not deflate the eggs while adding the flour because the eggs is what gives the cake its rise, since there’s no baking powder in the recipe.
- Next, transfer the batter to your lined baking pan & bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not open the oven door while the cake is baking, this can cause the cake to deflate.
- Lastly, let the cake cool on a wire rack for 10minutes before unmolding from the pan. Wrap with cling film or a clean cloth once it cools completely.
STEP 2: MAKE THE VANILLA CREAM FILLING
VANILLA CREAM FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 3 egg yolks
- 40 grams sugar
- 20 grams corn flour
- 200ml milk
- 10 grams butter
- 1tsp. vanilla extract
- Salt (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- In a clean stainless steel pot, add the milk. Set on medium heat and heat up the milk.
- While the milk is heating up, add your egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and corn starch/flour into a large bowl. Mix well till smooth and set aside till the milk heats up.
- Once the milk has heated (before it starts to boil), remove from the heat and add a little amount into your egg mixture while mixing, then add the remaining milk into the egg and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture back into your pot, and cook till thick and creamy, mixing continually.
- Once thick, strain into a bowl and add the butter. Mix well till butter melts. Cover the top of the cream with cling film and leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream on high speed till it’s thick, add the pastry cream and whip on high speed for 2 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl & keep in the fridge till you are ready to use.
STEP 3: MAKE THE VANILLA FLUFF
- 90 ml water
- 225 grams sugar + 3 tbsp.
- 120 grams liquid glucose
- 150 grams egg white (4 large eggs)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a clean pot, add the water, 225g sugar and the glucose. Set the pot on medium heat and stir until the sugar melts. Once it melts, stop stirring. Insert a thermometer into the sugar and cook till it reaches 115 degrees Celsius.
- Meanwhile, add the egg whites into a clean mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment, whip on high speed until the eggs gets foamy, then add the 3tbsp. of sugar, one tbsp. at a time.
- When the sugar reaches 115 degrees Celsius, add into the eggs at a slow, thin & steady stream
- Add the vanilla extract and whip for another 5 – 7 minutes.
You will also need a batch of my homemade strawberry sauce. Find the recipe here
Assemble the vanilla & strawberry cake
- Trim the top of the cake & divide into 2 layers.
- Spread some strawberry sauce on the cake layer, pipe a border with the vanilla fluff & fill the middle with the vanilla cream & fresh strawberries.
- Repeat with the other layers & then frost the cake with the vanilla fluff. The cake is meant to be messy & rustic. The more messy it is, the more beautiful the design will be when we torch the fluff.
- Next, pull out your blow torch you have hidden away at the back of your pantry & carefully, torch the vanilla fluff.
- Decorate the cake how you like. I used some fresh strawberries & flowers.
- Serve & enjoy.
Hope you enjoy this cake. Don’t forget to tag me @nookies_diaries over on Instagram.
Have a lovely New Year celebrations.
This cake looks so delicious, I cant wait to try it.
Thank You. Hope you enjoy it. xoxo