This Oven-baked Jollof basmati rice with chicken is flavourful, quick and easy. It is the classic Nigerian Jollof rice dish but with more freshness.
Here in the Nookies Diaries kitchen, I love to try out new recipes and make existing ones more delicious and flavourful. Like my Herbed lime basmati rice and my oven-baked coconut fried rice, this oven-baked Jollof basmati rice made with bacon, smoked chicken wings, vegetables and herbs is no exception when it comes to flavour, freshness and how easy it is to make. It is the classic Nigerian jollof rice but baked in the oven.
This dish doesn’t require you to stand over the stove cooking and stirring. All you do is to toss everything into your oven-safe cookware and bake. This makes the dish quick to prepare, straight forward and super easy. Anything that reduces my cooking time is a total win for me, so grab your apron and let’s get baking.
Oven-baked Jollof rice video
While it’s pretty straight forward and easy to make this recipe, it also helps to watch a 1-minute video. Give it a watch below!
The type of rice to use
Basmati rice is the star ingredient in this dish. I used the same Low G.I basmati rice I used in my herbed lime basmati rice. This type of Low G.I rice is perfect for those who suffer from diabetes because it has a low glycemic index number compared to other types of rice. However, you can use any long-grain rice including parboiled long grain rice or any type of basmati rice.
The type of chicken to use
You can use any part of a chicken you prefer, as long as it’s cooked. I used smoked chicken wings from a brand called Natnudo. I love the smoky flavour of the chicken, this also helps add smokiness to the dish. However, my suyarama crispy baked chicken, grilled chicken wings or barbecue chicken thighs will work great in this recipe.
How to make oven-baked Jollof basmati rice
This dish comes together pretty quickly and easily, the only waiting time required for this dish is the time it takes to bake in the oven. Here’s what need to do to make this dish:
- Rinse your basmati rice thoroughly under running water and soak for 2 hours. The soaking time helps to reduce the cooking time of the rice.
- While the rice is soaking, make the stew base. Heat up a small pot and add some vegetable oil. Add chopped garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes. Add in the tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Into an oven-safe pot or skillet, add the drained rice, stew base, chopped carrot, chopped onion, chilli peppers, chicken stock and water.
- Cover and bake in the oven until the rice is cooked but still moist, this will take about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, give it a good stir and add in the remaining onions, bell peppers and the smoked chicken wings. Cover and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and leave for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Meal prep ideas
Like most of the recipes I share, this oven-baked Jollof basmati rice with chicken can also be meal prepped. Simply store the rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Keep in the freezer for longer.
You can also meal prep a large batch of the stew base and store in the fridge. Anytime you want to make this dish, simply use as directed in the instructions.
More rice dishes to try
Oven-Baked Jollof Basmati Rice
- Dutch oven or cast iron skillet
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (for the stew base)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (for the stew base)
- 1 large garlic clove "minced" (for the stew base)
- 1 small onion "chopped" (for the stew base)
- 2 cups basmati rice (washed )
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion "divide in half, chop one half and cut the other half into thin rings"
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 chilli peppers "minced"
- 500 grams smoked chicken wings
- 2 strips bacon (chopped)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp seasoning powder
- ½ tbsp curry powder
- Soak the washed rice in water for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the stew base. Add the vegetable oil into a heated pot and add the onion and garlic. Saute till fragrant and add the tomato paste. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In an oven-safe pot or skillet, add the soaked rice, the stew base, chopped carrot, chopped onion, chill peppers, chicken stock and water. Cover and bake in the oven for 20minutes or until the rice is cooked but still a bit moist.
- Remove from the oven and stir well. Add the onion rings, bell peppers and the chicken. Cover and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and leave in the oven for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below and tag me over on Instagram @nookies_diaries or use the hashtag #nookies_diaries.