This oven-baked coconut fried rice is super easy to make, really delicious, comes together in a snap and the aroma is so amazing, you’ll probably have a line of very hungry people at your door begging for a plate of this delicious coconut rice.
With staple fridge and pantry ingredients, you will be making this one-pot oven-baked coconut fried rice in time for a quick lunch.
Over on Instagram, I shared a quick how-to video on how to make this delicious oven-baked coconut fried rice, and people over there absolutely went crazy over how easy it was to make. With a few pantry and fridge ingredients, this rice comes together so quickly.
It is absolutely delicious, bursting with fresh flavours from the coconut milk, and vegetables, and it is perfect for a quick weekday lunch or an elaborate Sunday dinner.
What you need to make oven-baked coconut fried rice
With staple ingredients in your pantry/ freezer, you can make this dish. However, find below some inspirations to help you along. (Recipe amounts will be provided in the recipe box below).
- Parboiled long grain rice: This is the rice commonly used over here in Nigeria. It is very really easy to find in stores and local markets and it is one of my staple pantry ingredients. It is popularly used in other delicious recipes like Nigerian jollof rice, cooked white rice and my Turmeric and shrimp fried rice.
- Sausage: This is one of the proteins I keep in my freezer for breakfast or for quick sandwiches. I used it as the protein in this oven-baked fried rice. However, other protein like cooked bacon, sauteed beef strips and roasted chicken, will also work well in this recipe.
- Coconut milk: This is the star ingredient in this recipe. I used canned coconut milk in this recipe.
- Vegetables: Feel free to use any combination of vegetables you like. I used red, yellow and green bell pepper, onions, carrots, spring onions, green peas and parsley. Other vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower will also be delicious in this recipe.
- Seasonings & herbs
- Cast iron skillet or dutch oven: I used my bare cast iron skillet like this. A dutch oven like this will also work well.
How to make oven-baked coconut fried rice
This oven-baked coconut fried rice is super easy to make, all you do is to toss the rice, sausage, bell peppers, carrot, coconut milk, seasonings and water into a cast-iron skillet or dutch oven. Cover tightly and bake in the oven until the liquid drys up and the rice is perfectly cooked. Remove from the oven, stir well and add the spring onions, frozen peas and parsley… and voila, it’s done.
I love this rice because it uses little to no oil. The coconut milk provides just the right amount of fat needed to make this dish delicious and healthy. This rice goes perfectly with side dishes like fried plantain, coleslaw and my suyarama crispy baked chicken.
Can I use basmati rice for this recipe: I have only tried this recipe with parboiled long grain rice. To use basmati rice, the liquid amounts and cooking time will differ slightly.
Can I make this rice vegan: Of course you can, to make this dish vegan, replace the sausage with sauteed tofu or mushrooms, and serve without the crispy baked chicken.
Can I meal prep this rice? I don’t think there is any recipe on this blog that cannot be meal prepped. This rice can absolutely be made ahead. Simply portion the rice into glass storage containers and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Reheat in the microwave whenever you need a quick lunch or dinner.
Can I add coconut flakes to this dish? Coconut flakes will definitely add more coconut flavour to this dish, so absolutely give it a go.
Oven-Baked Coconut Fried Rice
- Oven safe pan/pot
- 3 cups parboiled long grain rice (washed & drained)
- 1 can full cream coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium size red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium size yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium size green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 pieces habanero peppers (minced)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 1 medium size onion (chopped)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 medium size chicken franks (chopped)
- 2 stalks spring onions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 tbsp seasoning powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Drizzle coconut oil (optional)
- In a 12inch cast iron skillet or dutch oven, add all the ingredients except the spring onions, frozen peas and parsley. Cover tightly and bake in a 350°F over for 30mins or untill the rice is cooked perfectly and the liquid has dried off.
- Carefully remove from the oven and stir properly. Add in the spring onion, peas and parsley. Drizzle with oil (optional).
- Serve with fried plantain, coleslaw or suyarama crispy baked chicken.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below and tag me over on Instagram @nookies_diaries or use the hashtag #nookies_diaries. I look forward to reading your comments and seeing your pictures.