This One-Pan Fried Brown Rice is delicious, healthy, full of fiber and it tastes just like the regular fried rice but much healthier. It’s really easy to make and requires only one pan. This dish is also great for meal prepping, so, grab your apron and let’s get cooking.
Fried Brown Rice Ingredients
This recipe is totally customizable and every vegetable and ingredient amount can be to your preferred taste. However, the ingredients listed below are a great place to start.
- Semi cooked brown rice: Follow the cooking directions at the back of the package but reduce the time by 5 minutes.
The Flavour Builders
- Chicken/beef stock: This is one of the flavour builders of this dish. I find that whole grains like brown rice are more enjoyable when they’re cooked with lots of flavours. Chicken/beef stock adds the right amount of flavour to this fried rice. You can also use vegetable stock for a vegan option or simply use water.
- Habanero peppers: This also adds flavour to this dish and depending on the amount you use, adds spiciness. I love spicy food, so I used a lot of habanero peppers ☺.
- Garlic & onions
- Spices & seasonings: Spices like dried thyme, curry powder and seasoning cubes/powder are the classic herbs and spices used for Nigerian meals such as fried rice. For this dish, I opted for fresh thyme leaves rather than dried. However, any of the two will work great.
- Bell peppers
- Green peas
- Sweet corn
- Chicken franks/cooked liver: This can be swapped for fried tofu for a vegan option.
- Spring onions
Feel free to get creative with your vegetables and protein. Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower will taste amazing in this rice while proteins like shrimps, chicken, or pork will be absolutely delicious.
How to make fried brown rice
- Chop all your vegetables and cook the brown rice if you haven’t already.
- In a pot or cast iron skillet, add the chicken/beef stock, chopped garlic, chopped onions, and chopped carrot. Bring to a boil and add the semi-cooked brown rice.
- Add the chicken franks on top and cover the pan. Steam for 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the onion rings, sweet corn, green peas, and bell peppers and stir well. Cover the pan and steam for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from the heat and finish off with some chopped spring onions.
- Serve and enjoy.
Is fried brown rice healthy?
Brown rice is a whole grain that contains bran and germ which provides more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than white rice. Brown rice is great for digestion because of the fibre and it contains high levels of magnesium which is great for the prevention of heart diseases and stroke.
This recipe contains minimal oils and sodium, and it’s loaded with other vegetables which is a great thing. I also love that a single serving of this dish keeps you full for a long time, which is perfect for those on a weight loss journey. A diet that is rich in whole foods does wonder for your overall health.
Fried Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 large onion "sliced & chopped"
- 2 large carrots "chopped"
- 2 large garlic cloves "minced"
- 2 large Habanero pepper "minced"
- 1 red bell pepper "chopped"
- 1 yellow bell pepper "chopped"
- ½ cup sweet corn
- ½ cup green peas
- Fresh thyme "to your taste"
- Curry powder "to your taste"
- Chicken seasoning powder "optional"
- Spring onions "for garnish"
- Chop all your vegetables and cook the brown rice if you haven't already.
- In a pot or cast iron skillet, add the chicken/beef stock, chopped garlic, chopped onions, and chopped carrot. Add the thyme, curry powder and seasoning. Bring to a boil and add the semi-cooked brown rice. Add the chicken franks on top and cover the pan.
- Steam for 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Add the onion rings, sweet corn, green peas, and bell peppers and stir well.
- Cover the pan and steam for 5 minutes on low heat. Remove from the heat and finish off with some chopped spring onions. Serve and enjoy.