This Homemade Ricotta Cheese is creamy, delicious, & really easy to make. It’s perfect as dessert with some fresh fruits & jam or as a delicious spread on toast. Let’s jump right into making this yummy homemade cheese.
I love learning new recipes to make for the enjoyment of my family. Making things from scratch is something I enjoy doing a lot, and making this ricotta cheese was very enjoyable for me.
I am blessed to live in a place where cow herders bring their cows to graze often. Whenever they come around, I get to buy fresh cow milk from them. Luckily, they are around this time of year, so I bought some fresh milk for my ricotta cheese.
With just 3 ingredients, you can make this homemade cheese and it is cheaper than any store bought ricotta cheese. You can enjoy this cheese with fresh fruits & strawberry jam or as a spread on your breakfast avocado toast.
Homemade ricotta cheese ingredients
This makes up to 2 cups of ricotta cheese.
- 8 cups fresh cow’s milk or whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
You will also need a thermometer & cheese cloth.
How to make the homemade ricotta cheese
- In a large pot, add in the milk, cream & salt. Stir the milk & heat up the mixture until it reaches 90 degrees Celsius.
- Turn off the heat & add in the lemon juice. Stir the milk & watch how it begins to curdle.
- Once the milk as curdled completely, transfer the milk into a cheese cloth placed over a sieve & a large bowl.
- Leave on your counter top for 1hr for a creamy ricotta cheese, or overnight in the fridge for a thicker ricotta.
- Finally, scoop the ricotta into a bowl & enjoy with fresh fruits & strawberry jam or spread on toasted bread.
Tag me over @__nookies when you make this delicious homemade ricotta cheese.