These Fried Apple Hand Pies are cinnamony, decadent, really delicious and the best part, HAND SIZED. I have to say that this is one of the recipes that will soon become a family favorite in your home, so I am really happy to share it with you. It’s so easy to make, you don’t need any fancy equipment or mixers. Okay, let’s jump right into making this delicious fried apple hand pies.
I am very excited to have partnered with the Pink Lady® apples team last year September, for their CAPTURE THE DREAM CHALLENGE. They asked me to create a recipe using their delicious, crisp apples that will welcome the new apple season and this Fried Apple Hand Pies was the recipe I created.
Fried Apple Hand Pies Ingredients
All you need to make this fried apple hand pies are very basic ingredients that you probably already have stocked up in your pantry. A must have ingredient though is the crisp Pink Lady® apples.
Fried Apple Pie Filling
- 3 Pink Lady® apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp apple juice
- 1 tsp corn starch
The Pie Dough
- 2 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup hot* milk
How To Make Fried Apple Hand Pies
The apple pie Filling
- To make these delicious fried apple pies, you’ll start first by making the homemade apple pie filling. First, core, and dice 3 Pink Lady® apples into small cubes. You don’t need to peel them.
- Next, combine the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, apple juice, and corn starch in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until juices start to form for about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next, it’s time to make the homemade pie dough. Start by sifting the flour in a large mixing bowl. Next, begin to work the flour until all the butter is in tiny lumps. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks and salt together. Microwave the milk at 30-second intervals until steaming hot. A little at a time, begin to pour the hot milk into the egg mixture and stir constantly.
- Lastly, pour the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until your dough has formed. Next, place the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly for about 1 minute or until the dough is smooth-looking.
Form The Hand Pies
- Next, divide the pie dough into 6 equal-sized pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball out into circles. (Don’t worry about your circle not being perfectly round, we will be cutting away the excess once it is folded.)
- Fill each circle with 2 tablespoons of apple pie filling and fold the dough in half. Next, pinch the edges together to seal, and if desired cut away the excess with a pastry wheel or pizza cutter. (You can always use your excess to make another pie). Crimp down the edges with a fork to ensure all the filling stays intact when frying.
- Next, heat up oil in a deep fryer or a deep saucepan to 350 degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can always use the wooden spoon trick by sticking it in the center of the pot. If small bubbles form around the handle, then it’s ready.
Fry the hand pies
- Next, add your pies into the hot oil one at a time and fry for about 2 minutes per side, or until a light golden brown. Place fried apple pies on a paper towel to dry.
- While your pies are frying, make the glaze by whisking together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tbsp. of milk until it is smooth. Afterwards, glaze the pies quickly after they’ve fried and while they are still warm.
- Finally, let the glaze set for a few minutes and then enjoy your delicious fried apple pies!
Will you make this recipe?
Leave me a comment below or tag me over on Instagram @nookies_diaries or use the hashtag #nookiesdiaries. Furthermore, you can use the hashtag #pinkladyapplesnigeria #capturethedreamchallenge so the Pink Lady® apples team can see your lovely creation.