This Basil Orangeade is delicious, refreshing, mildly sweet and a great alternative to fizzy, artificially sweetened drinks. Enjoy this healthy immune-boosting 10-minute mocktail with family and friends or as an accompaniment with your meals.
In Nigeria, we are blessed with so many fruits and vegetables grown and cultivated locally. Among the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables are oranges, pineapple, watermelons, pumpkins and pumpkin leaves, African basil, carrots, yams, sweet potatoes and so much more. In my kitchen, I love to take advantage of these fruits and vegetables to create recipes that are loaded with vitamins and nutrients.
Today, I share this Basil Orangeade made with fresh orange juice, African basil leaves and fresh strawberries. This drink is great for the much needed immune boost our bodies need in these trying times. It’s really easy to make, so let’s get juicing.
What you need to make basil orangeade
- Basil leaves: Imported basil leaves, African basil leaves also known as curry leaves in the local market will work in this recipe.
- Fresh orange juice: Freshly squeezed orange juice is the best type of orange juice.
- Fresh Strawberries: This is optional, however, I really loved the mild strawberry taste it gave to the drink.
- Honey or maple syrup: For added sweetness.
How to make basil orangeade
- The first step is to juice the oranges. You will need 2 cups of fresh orange juice.
- Into a blender, add the strawberries, orange juice, basil leaves and honey. Blend till it’s smooth.
- Strain the liquid from the pulp and add into a pitcher filled with ice. Top up with water if needed and add some fresh strawberry slices, orange slices and basil leaves. Serve and enjoy. You can skip the straining and enjoy with the pulp. Whichever way you choose, this drink will surely please your taste buds.
Is this drink healthy?
Basil leaves, strawberries and oranges have tremendous healthy benefits. These benefits includes:
- Improves digestion
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Fights free radical activity
- Great for the skin
- Helps fight depression
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin B9, potassium, manganese etc.
- Supports liver function and helps detoxify the body
- Promotes healthy gut.
- Strawberries are very rich in antioxidants and plant compounds, which may have benefits for heart health and blood sugar control.
With all these loads of benefits, I think it’s safe to say that this drink is really good for you.
More healthy drink recipes you will love
- 2 cups freshly sqeezed orange juice
- 2 springs basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- Extra oranges slices, strawberries and basil leaves for garnishing
- Into a blender, add the orange juice, strawberries, basil and honey. blend till smooth.
- Strain out the juice from the pulp and add into a pitcher filled with ice. Top with water if needed.
- Garnish with some orange slices, strawberries and basil leaves. Serve and enjoy.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below or head over to @nookies_diaries on Instagram and tag me. You can also use the hashtag #nookies_diaries so I can see your lovely creationI always look forward to reading your comments and seeing your pictures.